Low-Income Sewer Rate Assistance Program
10-15% Rate Discount for Eligible Low-Income Customers
To help our ratepayers cope with the impacts of COVID-19, Novato Sanitary District Board and staff developed an ongoing rate assistance program for low-income households that was approved at its August 10, 2020 Board meeting.
Program Summary: Novato Sanitary District’s Low-Income Sewer Rate Assistance Program (LISRAP or Program) is available to eligible, low-income single-family residential ratepayer households. The program provides a fifteen percent (15%) rate discount to eligible households in the low water use rate category and a ten percent (10%) rate discount to eligible households in the average water use and high water use rate categories.
- Income eligibility is demonstrated by being enrolled in the PG&E CARE Program (California Alternate Rates for Energy Program).
- The ratepayer household must also include a customer of the District who pays the District charges as shown on their property tax bill.
The following are not eligible for the Program: Single family residences with accessory dwelling units, ratepayers with a PG&E master meter, and entities who are not a ratepayer of the District. Non-household family members, neighbors, friends, homeowners’ associations, landlords, are also not eligible, although they may apply on behalf of other eligible customers.
The Discounted Rate: The 2023-24 discounted rates will vary, as the Sewer Service Charge varies with water use.
|Sewer Service Charge
|LISRAP Charge w/ 15% Discount
|Low Water Use
|Sewer Service Charge
|LISRAP Charge w/ 10% Discount
|Average Water Use
|High Water Use
Application Process: If you meet the eligibility requirements above, fill out the single page Application Form and return it to the District office with copies of:
- Current PG&E bill which shows enrollment in the PG&E CARE Program, and
- Most recent County property tax bill
Submit the application and supporting documents via email to email@example.com, with “LISRAP” in the subject line, by mail to the District office, or deliver in-person (please call ahead for an appointment). (415) 892-1694
Application Approval Process. The application must be approved by the District. If approved before October 15, 2023, the District will transmit the discounted rate information to the County for payment on your 2023-24 County property tax bill, and your information will be kept on file for the next year. If the discount is not reflected on your 2023-24 property tax bill, or you are approved for LISRAP after you have paid your 2023-24 property tax bill (in part or full), you will receive a District check for any eligible discount amount(s).
Once enrolled, the discount will be applied automatically to the sewer service charge billed to the ratepayer of record on their County Tax Bill.
- Program eligibility (CARE enrollment) will be reconfirmed every other fiscal year, which begins July 1st.
- The ratepayer is required to notify the District if they no longer qualify for the PG&E CARE program, or if they move to another single-family residence served by the District.